Starting a bulking up journey and feeling overwhelmed? I’ve been there. Stepping into a gym for the first time can be daunting.
I’ve been there. Starting out at 155lb and 5’7″, I was a total novice. At 27, I had never touched a weight and had zero clues about dieting. But like many of you, I wanted to change.
Here’s the thing: Knowledge is Power. If you’re setting out on a fitness journey, whether it’s bulking up or toning down, arm yourself with the right information. Let me share what worked for me, and hopefully, it can guide you too.
The Feeling of Being Overwhelmed
When I first stepped into a gym, the world of fitness felt like an enigma. The sight of the various machines, the distinct sound of weights clanging, and the sheer determination of those working out were both inspiring and, quite honestly, intimidating.
The Importance of Knowledge
The initial foray into the gym underscored a pivotal lesson – the importance of knowledge. Going in blind, with no understanding of diet, form, or exercise routines, is a recipe for confusion and potential setbacks.
Starting My Bulking Up Journey
With guidance from a fitness-savvy mentor, I embarked on this journey. The aim? Bulk up. If you’re looking to transform, a solid plan is crucial.
Old Diet vs New Diet
My initial lifestyle might resonate with some of you – drinking, smoking cigars, and eating carelessly. The switch meant a focus on nutrition.
Old Meal Plan:
- Breakfast: Egg white sandwiches (3), water, and post-workout coffee.
- Lunch: Basic salad with 1/2 chicken breast.
- Dinner: Shredded wheat, vanilla yogurt, and 2 whole chicken breasts.
Sound familiar? This diet led me to a dead end. But with guidance, I revamped.
New Meal Plan:
- Breakfast: Protein shake with milk & banana, whole eggs, toast, pre-workout espresso, post-workout coffee, and fruit snacks.
- Lunch: Brown rice and chicken.
- Dinner: Protein shake, yogurt-granola blend, and grilled chicken.
Results of My Bulking Up Journey
This diet change was a game-changer. From benching just a bar, I progressed to 155lb in three months! Imagine where it could take you.
Key Takeaways for Your Fitness Journey:
- Set Clear Goals: Envision your desired outcome.
- Nutrition Is Key: It’s foundational for any fitness path.
- Stay Adaptable: If something doesn’t work, adjust.
- Partner Up: Sharing the journey makes it more enjoyable.
Dietary Recommendations for Bulking:
Proteins: Turkey, chicken, dairy, eggs, salmon, tuna.
Carbs: Fruits, pasta, cereals, brown rice, vegetables.
Fats: Olive oil, almonds, peanuts.
Snacks: Fruits, pretzels, nuts.
Liquids: Milk, water, espresso, coffee.